Saturday, September 7, 2013

Red Beans 'n' Tibs.


Red food all up in here.
One of my NOLA pals moved here this year and started up a Friday night rice 'n' beans get together (I guess folks here do their laundry on Fridays--I dunno).

Anyway, Dazee and I headed out for some 'cuz
  1. NOLA style rice 'n' beans--par-tay!! 
  2. If someone else is cookin', I'm so there.
  3. I'm so very happy to eat something that is NOT Ethiopian, and
  4. I'm not gonna pass on a chance to unload some fridge food.
So I brought a little plate o' food along, and yep--you've seen some of this. MORE balls, but once these balls are gone, I'm going ball-free for a while, tempeh awaze tibs (needs some work) and a wee tomato salad.

Also, the woman at the Ethiopian grocery knows my order now. Half bag of dark injera, please and thank you. I feel like I'm going places.

xo
kittee

13 comments:

  1. You have me dreaming of injera this week! I think I might have to make a stop by one of our local Ethiopian restaurants soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yay! This post makes me so happy for two reasons. 1) I was thinking about you and how great you are and how all NOLA foods remind me of you. and 2) I was for some reason really hoping that you could have a break from Ethiopian food tonight. I was concerned for you, friend! :) Hope you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friday night rice & beans get-togethers sound magical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should do a post on how to determine if you are getting quality injera or not. I've purchased some dry gross stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I like the new look of your site! Is this brand new, or am I just slow to notice huge changes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I redid the site last year for mofo!!! Ha!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  6. The photo alone made my mouth watery!
    All I ate this morning was a doughnut, but this looks like a perfect meal for lunch!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah you might be Ethiopianed out, but you got lots of us droolin for some sponge pants bread and red food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. You're a regular with the injera now! Woo! I really wish we had some readily available here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed with GiGi -- you might be getting tired of Ethiopian food, but dang, you are a master. That injera looks so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so not making injera every day. Are you insane?
      xo
      kittee

      Delete

  10. Hello, (:

    Is dark injera a special type of injera?

    Good luck with the tempeh tibs!

    -E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EZ!
      There are different types of teff, just like there are different types of quinoa. Darker teff makes darker injera. The thing is most places here use white self-raising flour to make white injera (ivory teff is more expensive than other kinds). We think the more teff, the better injera, and also we prefer the aesthetic of darker injera.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.