Monday, September 2, 2013

Spicy Stuff 'n' Cheese.


My shoes are crying for a new coat of spray paint.  Should I go red?  Yellow?  Turquoise?
Here's a few more of my backlog for you, before I hop in the shower and get into the kitchen. I should probably get in the kitchen, and then hop in the shower, but that never works out.

That white spongy injera up there is store-bought. Dazee refuses to eat any Ethiopian without injera (I just refuse to eat mine with rice, I'm ok with just a fork), so sometimes he has to get the white kind made with self-rising white flour. Yuck.

You're also peeking at some very spicy Eggplant Kai Wot, some homemade cheese, Ayib, and mild but never under-appreciated  split peas Ye'kik Allecha. Very spicy wot eaten with cool and tangy homemade cheese is heaven.  Definitely my favorite discovery so far.

I said balls.
This is a skillet of an experiment that worked. Tofu balls in a potato onion sauce.  I have no idea how onion hating folks even make do in Ethiopia. They are in everything, way more than cilantro.

xo
kittee

20 comments:

  1. The cheese looks delicious, I keep seeing homemade cheeses today and now I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the base of the cheese? It probably IS heaven all mushed together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go turquoise on the shoes :) Food looks wonderful! Luv ya, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh yum, Kittee! So excited you'll be posting so much vegan Ethiopian goodness. Nom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever eaten any Ethopian food - not on purpose anyway! So I'm now keen to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always up for a new homemade cheese recipe! Cannot WAIT for your boooookkkkk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pictures of your feet and food! <3 Looks amazing as always

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at spicy! I am very interested in the cheesy stuff that you made. Oh heck, I am interested in everything you make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta have teff injera. I don't think I've ever seen the white kind. Our Ethiopian restaurant will get GF injera with 24 hours notice, but it's so hard to plan ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Ethiopian posts. So much experimentation and curiosity! Very cool.

    Also, today I saw a girl with the kutest kittee-style outfit and I wanted to text you a pic, but didn't have my phone with me. I brain-texted you anyway. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come over and cook for me. Asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I prefer flatbreads over rice as well, for an awful lot of meals. There's something very comforting about the tearing-dipping-nomming of it all. Or maybe my inner toddler just loves any excuse to abandon the fork!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so envying Dazee right now, having you cook all of these amazing meals, and I just have to show up with clean, washed hands!

    ReplyDelete
  14. tofu balls and splattered mary janes, I came to the right place. Can I order both here?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovin' the idea of Ethiopian vegan balls! Can't wait for the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooooh those tofu balls look gorgeous.. that is a whole lot of delicous ethiopian fare.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks good :) what is the cheese made of?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want your tofu balls all up in my mouth hole.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.