Thursday, October 24, 2013

Alfenique, Dahlias, a Winner and more Ethiopian Delights.


This year's bounty, but next year's is gonna be all about the googly eyes.
I follow the recipe on Mexican Sugar Skull.com, but substitute Ener-G Egg Replacer for the meringue in both the sugar skulls and the royal icing.
I bet you think I've been so busy, I haven't been prepping for our annual Dia de los Muertos celebration. No-no-no! There's always room for a bit of sugar skull action. While perusing the lovely #sugarskull on Instagram the other night, I also learned a new word--alfeñique, which is the art of sugar skulls (and other creations). If you like such things, there are so many gorgeous pictures to be seen. Specifically check out anything related to Alfeñique Feria, which is an annual sugar skull convention that takes place from mid October until Dia de los Muertos (November 2nd) every year in Toluca, Mexico. I want to go soooooOOOo badly. Seriously, go look and also check out #alfeñiqueferia for the latest and greatest.

Also, please help me congratulate Strength and Sunshine, who won Dynise's amazing Pie and Tarts with Heart. Thanks to all of you who participated in the giveaway.

The dahlias are still kickin'!
While you've been doing this and that, I'm still knee deep in Ethiopian delights. Here's one of the dishes I made today--Ye'atakilt Kai Wot (carrots, potatoes and cauliflower in a spicy tomato gravy). I also made some KILLER lasagna roll-ups. If you're good I'll post a picture on my IG tomorrow. They're made of an Ethiopian soft cheese similar to ricotta, which I mixed with Ethiopian kale and carrots and rolled up in lasagna noodles. Then smothered the whole shebang in a berbere marinara sauce. Thank you Italy, for trying to invade Ethiopia, you left some good stuff behind.

xo
kittee

4 comments:

  1. Ethiopian lasagna?!?!? Also, did Italy really try to do that? History lesson AND killer food. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cauliflower was so unexpected; I was sure you were going to say "carrots, potatoes, and CABBAGE." Well-played.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had Ethiopian food, but would love to make them! :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.